Monday, October 25, 2010

The Unfinished Symphony


Last week I was sitting in rehearsal thinking what a shame it is that Schubert never finished the big No.8. Tragic, almost. The first movement is one of the most beautiful soaring string melodies I've ever heard. What more could Mr. Schubert have given us had he finished the piece? We'll never know. Maybe it would have rivaled the finale from Stravinsky's The Firebird, or Richard Strauss' Don Juan, or Beethoven's Ode to Joy in epic proportions and emotional evocation. But we'll never know.

Today I was sitting in rehearsal thinking about what Andrew Howell could have given the world had he lived to see his 21st birthday. We'll never know. But like the Unfinished Symphony, his life was beautiful. I know he enjoyed life. Just a few days ago he mentioned that he was having the best year of his life. So although his life, like Schubert's symphony, will never include a minuet and trio movement or a heroic and epic finale, I have so many wonderful memories that I will always cherish. I'm learning to make the most of everything the gift of life has offered me. It's tough, but I think that if I can learn to do that I'll be a more joyful and loving person. And that's all I can ask for.

Thank you, Andrew, for everything you mean to me and all of your other friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment