Monday, June 14, 2010

Looking for Inspiration

For me, life is all about finding a source of inspiration, using that to make my own art (which ranges from anything from flute practice to finding an outfit that matches to decorating my living space) more passionately, and finally inspiring others through that art. The problem is that lately I've found myself making excuses to not get inspired more often than I'd like; 'If it wasn't so early I'd have better tone', 'If I wasn't so tired I'd play this sonata more musically', 'If I was fifteen pounds lighter I'd look cute in any outfit', 'If I had a real job I'd be able to afford nice furniture for the apartment'...the list goes on and on. I guess my goal is that by thinking out loud (or I suppose in this case, online) I'll more likely to find creative and functional solutions to these dilemmas that seem so very present in my day-to-day life.
Today I am blaming my lack of inspiration on being home for the summer. I'm not in the fishbowl of musical and creative genius that I've gotten so used to, and now I feel like there is nothing pushing me to be the best Hannah I can be. On the other hand, in the two days I've been home I've already listened to three full symphonic works and begun to read Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence. There is nothing like going right to the classics to remind you why you do what you do. So that's what I plan to do this summer, learn as much classic orchestral repertoire as I can, read as many books from The Modern Library's Top 100 Best Novels list (http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnovels.html; so far I've read no. 2, 7, 10, 20, 35, and 45 from the Board's list and 5, 12, 13, 22, 24, 51, 63, 67, and 94 from the Reader's list) make enough money to keep me fed and somewhat entertained over the school year, and of course practice until I can't anymore. Oh! And I haven't even mentioned the apartment challenge yet! My roommate R and I have leased a sick apartment next year that remains yet unfurnished. I'm going to see if I can take care of my half of the household for under $100? So far I've got a surprisingly nice armchair that mom bought me for $10 at a garage sale, and the kitchen table and chairs set that the parents are getting rid of! Looks like the rest will be coming from Craigs List and thrift stores!

No comments:

Post a Comment