Monday, March 21, 2011

10 Best Things About My Vacation in St. Augustine, FL

1. The smell of the ocean. It was the first thing I noticed when I stepped out of the car. Nothing like salt and humidity to remind you that you're not in Kansas anymore.
2. The sound of the ocean. I'm big on auditory memories. And we can hear it from our condo. Which is about 20 yards from the ocean.
3. The history. One of the few memories I have of elementary school involves learning about the explorers. Ponce De Leon is everywhere. And old houses. Another one of my favorite things ever.
4. The musical ambiance that seems to be everywhere. Every restaurant of course has a soundtrack, but even some museums and outdoor attractions have been blasting this week. Mozart string quartets apparently do have a place.
5. Chicken. I've been eating a lot of it. I think chicken is my favorite food.
6. The colors. Tropical places are much more flamboyant about color choices (especially for houses and buildings). I wouldn't want to live here necessarily, but pink houses on every block is certainly fun to look at right now.
7. Seeing the sun again. Sorry Cincinnati.
8. I bought a fedora. Talk about playing Calvinball! I never would have done this ever before. But it's growing on me.
9. I also got a new swimsuit for the first time in four years. It's black. To make up for the craziness of the fedora.
10. Hot surfers. At lunch I expressed to my family that the only things separating this vacation from a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie are matching vespas and love interests for myself and my brother (that would require the hot surfers-or longboarding girls, in Matt's case-to talk to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment